Caseworker – Platform Power
|Contract type||18 month fixed term, with 6 months probation |
|Benefits||25 days annual leave per annum |
Plus, all UK public and bank holidays pro-rata (UK public holidays on dates of your choice.)
Full office closure for a week at Christmas and in August
Annual leave allocation increases annually by one day (up to a maximum of five days)
10% employer pension contribution
|Deadline for applications||10 January 2022 at 9am|
Foxglove is a non-profit that exists to make technology fair for us all. In just over two years, we’ve brought several ground-breaking cases taking on Big Tech and government – and won.
We’ve forced disclosure of secret contracts between tech giants and the NHS, stopped a racist Home Office visa algorithm, helped make grading fair for all A level students in the UK, forced the government to pause the NHS data grab and helped hundreds of Facebook workers speak out against workplace exploitation.
We are a small, growing team of lawyers, activists and communications specialists. We investigate, litigate, and advocate for justice in technology. We’re just getting started. We hope you want to join us.
The caseworker will support Foxglove’s strand of work focusing on the power of big tech platforms. The post holder will be responsible for driving investigations and research forward, evidence gathering, managing partner relationships, managing our projects, and supporting our case load. This role will have a particular focus on our work supporting tech workers in the European Union.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Carrying out research and assisting our directors to use information gathered to support our legal cases, public campaigns and projects. This might include desk-based research, Freedom of Information Act requests, Subject Access requests, source interviews and more
- Listening to affected communities and workers, unearthing issues caused by tech injustice, and working with the wider Foxglove team to come up with innovative legal and advocacy solutions
- Growing our EU wide network of tech workers, building relationships and supporting case development
- Building and maintaining relationships with stakeholders, including officials, impacted community members, unions, lawyers, employers, universities, frontline service providers and the public
- Helping to ensure communities’, workers’ and affected individual’s voices are heard in our campaigns, communications and advocacy work
- Working with the team to engage MPs, committees and decision makers in Foxglove’s issues
- Developing advocacy materials including briefings, opinion pieces and open letters
3. Project management
- Managing Foxglove’s tech worker projects, logistics and general administrative planning to deliver our casework.
- Using a range of databases and software to ensure information and documents are in the right place and effectively managed and updated
- Working with the team to contribute to social media posts, blogs and op-eds
- Working with the team to develop materials that can be gathered for advocacy purposes including blogs, video or audio testimony, photographs etc
- Spotting campaign, litigation and advocacy opportunities
- Other ad hoc tasks as required by the team
- An interest in tech-justice and Foxglove’s work
- Minimum of two years relevant experience
- Demonstrated ability to unearth facts that produce social change
- Experience managing and delivering projects to deadline
- A clear, creative and concise verbal and written communicator
- An ability to deliver high quality work on deadline
- A self-starter / able to work independently
- Willingness to muck in and support other members of a small team as required
- Demonstrated ability to think critically and act strategically
- Right to work in the UK
- Experience supporting tech workers and an understanding of the issues faced by this workforce
- Experience working with unions and/or organising
- Familiarity with competition/consumer protection laws and groups
- Legal qualification in any jurisdiction
- German language skills
Length and salary
The is a fixed term 18-month contract. There will be a six-month probationary period. The annual salary is £40,800 per annum less any required deductions for income tax and national insurance. Please note that our pay is transparent and non-negotiable. This role will be based in our London office. UK and international travel may be required.
How to apply
To apply please send a copy of your CV and a two-page cover letter detailing why you are best suited to the role. Foxglove conducts blind shortlisting with identifying information removed from application forms for all roles.
Please send these documents as attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org by the application deadline above. We would be grateful if you could complete and return this diversity monitoring form alongside your application.
Foxglove is new and we are growing. We are striving to build a team that is truly inclusive. We will create a diverse and adaptable environment where we support people to do their best work. We believe an effective and creative team is made up of people from different walks of life.
If any part of this process causes you difficulty, please get in touch with us: email@example.com.